Lone Star Sponsors Student Analytics Glossary Competition
Unexplainable is Unacceptable, because words should matter when we claim it’s “analysis”
Dallas, TX (PRWEB) March 23, 2017
Lone Star Analysis announced it will award a prize for the best suggested addition to the company’s online glossary of analytics terms.
Sentiment about analytics is increasingly in favor of transparency. Recent research by Lone Star shows the public thinks they have a “right to know” how algorithms work when it comes to issues like Credit Ratings, Safety, Health Care, Insurance Risk Ratings, School Admissions and Investments.
A summary of the research is found here; https://www.lone-star.com/do-you-know-your-big-data-bill-of-rights/
Transparency depends, in part on clear meaning. Steve Roemerman, Lone Star’s Chairman said, “Analytics is hot, and vocabulary is trying to keep up; it’s really confusing out there. We wanted to promote the idea that words should have meaning. So much of math and computer science depends on objective definitions. But the pace of change in analytics makes that challenging.”
“We want to encourage universities, educators and students to think critically about analytics, and to get past hype. So, we will award a $250 prize to a university student on May 15.” Roemerman said.
The rules of the competition are:
- Entries after April 21 may not be accepted and must be submitted in English to info@Lone-Star.com
- All entries become the property of Lone Star Analysis
- Judges’ decision is final
- Since the judges’ decision is final, we don’t need other rules
- The Lone Star glossary has a certain kind of “voice.” It is fine for submissions to have a different voice, but “pedantic blah blah” can’t win. Before submitting, students might want to look at these entries:
- last paragraph of “Artificial Intelligence”
- last paragraph of “Big Data”
- Fourth Great Lie
- Spherical Cow
- The contest is looking for new entries – new additions to the glossary will be most welcome, regardless of voice, if they are pithy and not pedantic
The glossary is here – https://www.lone-star.com/insights/glossary/
About Lone Star Analysis
Lone Star Analysis enables customers to make insightful decisions faster than their competitors. We are a predictive guide bridging the gap between data and action. Prescient insights support confident decisions for customers in Oil & Gas, Transportation & Logistics, Industrial Products & Services, Aerospace & Defense, and the Public Sector.
Lone Star delivers fast time to value supporting customers planning and on-going management needs. Utilizing our TruNavigator® software platform, Lone Star brings proven modeling tools and analysis that improve customers top line, by winning more business, and improve the bottom line, by quickly enabling operational efficiency, cost reduction, and performance improvement. Our trusted AnalyticsOSSM software solutions support our customers’ real-time predictive analytics needs when continuous operational performance optimization, cost minimization, safety improvement, and risk reduction are important.
Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Lone Star is found on the web at http://www.Lone-Star.com